ROMAN KRUGLOV  / FLICKRDavis Campus Readers feel heat after inviting dead author to campus
Davis Campus Readers (DCR), a book club at UC Davis, has had its funding cut and will be forced off campus by the end of Winter Quarter after providing a platform for some questionable speech. The club asked Ayn Rand to come speak to its members, but failed to notice that the award-winning author is, in fact, dead.
The club of 40 members has asked speakers such as Ray Bradbury, Jhumpa Lahiri and Stephen King to come speak, all of whom declined due to the pointed books that have been on the clubs reading list, including former chancellor Linda Katehis upcoming memoir.
Rand, the author of Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead, is the founder of objectivism. The Atlas Society says of the belief system: There is no greater moral goal than achieving happiness. But one cannot achieve happiness by wish or whim  Politically, Objectivists advocate laissez-faire capitalism. Under capitalism, a strictly limited government protects each persons rights to life, liberty, and property and forbids that anyone initiate force against anyone else.
Though UC Davis does not agree with the beliefs that Rand or objectivists follow, the school allowed for Rand to speak but neglected to mention to the clubs president that Rand is deceased.
I told them that Rand could come to the school. I disagree with them giving her a platform, but I couldnt stop them from bringing her to campus, said Bryan Lewis, director of Campus Clubs and Circles. I think, even though shes dead, that she has every right to come share her beliefs. Shame on the club for providing such a soapbox in the first place. We cant stop people from taking a stance, but we can do our best to stop the spread of such opinions.
Lewis went on to say that there was no room for such speech on campus and that, while he feels that such values exist, there is no reason for the club to bring such a controversial and divisive figure to campus.
DCR president Logan Marx claimed that the club would not be silenced and had every right to make their voices heard on campus.
While Rand has unpopular beliefs, DCR should not provide the contentious figure with a platform to spread ideas based around a highly capitalistic and self-centered society. These beliefs are obsolete and ridiculous, and they have no place in an intellectual setting. UC Davis administration elected to go straight to the source by punishing the group that provided a platform for dangerous dialogue by preventing the spread of such rhetoric. Questioning the credibility of ETHAN VICTOR? You can reach him at email@example.com. Feel free to help with his followers-to-following ratio on Twitter @thejvictor, because it is pathetic right now.
Here is the original post:
- Judging Milo Yiannopoulos, ft. Ayn Rand (Episode #24 of MY PODCAST) - ChicagoNow (blog) - February 23rd, 2017
- Ayn Rand Contra Nietzsche - The Objective Standard - February 22nd, 2017
- Donald Trump & Ayn Rand | CLUSTER B - February 19th, 2017
- Jerome Tuccille, Author of It Usually Begins With Ayn Rand and More, RIP - Reason (blog) - February 18th, 2017
- Would Ayn Rand Have Cast President Trump As A Villain? | Zero ... - February 15th, 2017
- The Ayn Rand in Donald Trump: The Virtue of America First | The ... - American Spectator - February 13th, 2017
- The Ayn Rand scene Sajid Javid reads every year - Spectator.co.uk - February 9th, 2017
- Ayn Rand Novel - Long Speeches + Narrative Drive = Speculator - Forbes - February 7th, 2017
- Making Ayn Rand Relevant in the Era of President Trump - Huffington Post - February 6th, 2017
- Ayn Rand and the Invincible Cult of Selfishness on the American Right ... - January 25th, 2017
- The scary ghost of Ayn Rand looms over the Trump cabinet - December 16th, 2016
- The Daily 202: Ayn Rand-acolyte Donald Trump stacks his ... - December 15th, 2016
- Fountainhead of bad ideas: Ayn Rands fanboys take the reins ... - December 15th, 2016
- Ayn Rand's Progressive Readers are Misguided | National Review - December 15th, 2016
- How Ayn Rands theories destroyed Never Trump conservatism - December 15th, 2016
- Media, morality and the neighbors cow: When did Ayn Rand ... - December 12th, 2016
- Ayn Rand Was Wrong about Human Nature - Evonomics - December 4th, 2016
- Ayn Rand - The New York Times - December 2nd, 2016
- Ayn Rand Student Conference 2016 - December 2nd, 2016
- Ayn Rand Predicted an American Slide toward Fascism ... - November 25th, 2016
- Voices for Reason Blog | The Ayn Rand Institute - November 10th, 2016
- The One Argument Ayn Rand Couldnt Win New York Magazine - November 8th, 2016
- Amazon.com: Ayn Rand: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle - October 29th, 2016
- Objetivismo, la filosofa de Ayn Rand | La Rebelin de Atlas ... - October 25th, 2016
- Ayn Rand - Salon.com - September 2nd, 2016
- Ayn Rand Wikipdia, a enciclopdia livre - August 25th, 2016
- Ayn Rand - IMDb - August 19th, 2016
- Ayn Rand - Wikipedia, den frie encyklopdi - August 19th, 2016
- Ayn Rand's Ideas - An Overview | AynRand.org - August 16th, 2016
- Ayn Rand - Uncyclopedia - Wikia - July 31st, 2016
- Frequently Asked Questions | The Ayn Rand Institute - July 14th, 2016
- The Fountainhead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - July 8th, 2016
- Ayn Rand | American author | Britannica.com - July 8th, 2016
- Ayn Rand Institute eStore : Ayn Rand - July 5th, 2016
- Ayn Rand Quotes - The Quotations Page - July 5th, 2016
- Ayn Rand (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy) - June 24th, 2016
- Ayn Rand - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre - June 21st, 2016
- Ayn Rand Institute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - June 21st, 2016
- Ayn Rand Wikipdia - June 21st, 2016
- Who Is Ayn Rand? - The Objective Standard - June 19th, 2016
- Ayn Rand Wikipedia - June 19th, 2016
- Ayn Rand Quotes (Author of Atlas Shrugged) - Goodreads - June 13th, 2016