Page 11234..10..»

Category Archives: Progress

Seminary Square strip mall a work in progress – Galesburg Register-Mail

Posted: February 25, 2017 at 3:10 pm

Rebecca Susmarski The Register-Mail

GALESBURG A hair salon, a Mexican restaurant and a jewelry store are only three of the businesses expected to move into the strip mall on North Seminary Street after its construction.

Hair Cuttery, Kay Jewelers, Mi Casa Mexican Cuisine, AT&T and Hibbett Sports all plan to move into the property, said Joe Rayfield, director of leasing and property management for the strip malls developer, Horne Properties. The strip mall will have room for a sixth business that has not yet been selected, and Rayfield said many restaurants have expressed an interest due to the drive-through capability at the site.

The city of Galesburg could only confirm that Kay Jewelers will be moving in, since it has not yet received building plans from any of the other stores, but Rayfield said the tenants should probably be opening in mid- to late-May.

At the end of March or first of April, all of [the stores] should be starting to submit for permitting, Rayfield said.

The city issued a building permit for the strip mall on Nov. 7 of last year, and construction work began shortly after that, said Matthew Carlson, building inspector for the City of Galesburg. The winter weather delayed the installment of the buildings footings, but Rayfield said things have been going well with construction since then.

The buildings foundations have been installed and its exterior walls are currently being erected. Carlson didnt have a timeline for the constructions completion nor when the strip malls stores will open, since interior work could be extensive or minimal depending on what the stores request, he said.

A mixture of veteran Galesburg businesses and new ones are expected to find homes in the strip mall. Jeff Gray, vice president of real estate for Hibbett Sporting Goods Inc., confirmed that Hibbett plans to move from its current location in Sandburg Mall to the strip mall by July.

The Galesburg Hibbett location, which opened in 2001, had been considering a location change within the city even before the mall announced its closing plans.

Were always looking at options to see if we can better position our stores, and the mall had struggled for the past couple of years in keeping tenants, Gray said. It just made sense to find an alternative location.

Mi Casa Mexican Cuisine will be a new addition to Galesburg and serve as a sister business to the original restaurant in Aledo. Owner RaeAnne Hernandez, who grew up in Aledo and started the business with her husband seven years ago, said the original restaurant was doing so well that she wanted to expand.

Hernandez has not yet signed a lease for the second location, but the strip malls position on North Seminary Street proved to be a considerable plus when she looked for a new place to settle.

That area of Galesburg is really growing and we wanted to be a part of that, Hernandez said.

The final strip mall will be slightly more than 17,000 square feet in length and formed in an L shape. The south end cap of the strip mall is the portion still available, Rayfield said.

He also plans to start another phase of development on that land in late 2017 or early 2018. Horne Properties has already developed the Wal-Mart and Menards on that land, and sold the land that Kohls, Pet Supplies Plus and Shoe Carnival have developed.

It depends on the interest were able to accumulate, but probably [it will be] another similar sized building of what were doing now, Rayfield said of the future development.

Rebecca Susmarski: (309) 343-7181, ext. 261; rsusmarski@register-mail.com; @RSusmarski

Originally posted here:

Seminary Square strip mall a work in progress – Galesburg Register-Mail

Posted in Progress | Comments Off on Seminary Square strip mall a work in progress – Galesburg Register-Mail

Business update: Progress Lakeshore seeks nominees – Herald Times Reporter

Posted: at 3:10 pm

USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin 9:12 a.m. CT Feb. 25, 2017

Progress Lakeshore(Photo: Progress Lakeshore)

Progress Lakeshore is seeking nominations for businesses and individuals to honor as part of its Sixth Annual Excellence in Economic Development Awards Breakfast. The breakfast will be from 7 to 9 a.m., May 3, at Holiday Inn in Manitowoc.

RELATED:Business update: Companies willing to train

SUBSCRIBE NOW:Follow us today on YouTube

Nominations are being sought for the Entrepreneurial Achievement Award, Neighborhood Development Award, Corporate Investment Award and Economic Accelerator of the Year Award.

Nominations are due by March 3 and are being accepted online. Go to progresslakeshore.org to submit a nomination, register for the event or to view available sponsorship opportunities.

For more details, contact Progress Lakeshore at 920-482-0540.

Orion Energy Systems, Inc., theManitowoc-based designer and manufacturer of LED retrofit lighting systems, was honored Feb. 23 at the Manufacturer of the Year Awards Program.

Orion, which received the award for market adaptability, was one of seven winners.

Other winners included Grand Award recipients General Plastics of Milwaukee in the small category,Hydro-Thermal Corporation of Waukesha in the medium category,Mortara Instrument, Inc., of Milwaukee in the large categoryand Greenheck Fan Corporation of Schofield in the mega category; and Sargento Food, Inc., of Plymouth for community stewardship and Midwest Prototyping of Blue Mounds for emerging technology.

The awards are presented by Wisconsin Manufacturers & Commerce, the largest business association in Wisconsin.

County Bancorp, Inc., parent company for Investors Community Bank, announced that on Feb.21, its board of directorsincreased its quarterly cash dividend by 20 percent, from $0.05 to $0.06 per share.

The dividend will be payable March 24to shareholders of record on March 10.

Timothy J. Schneider, president of County Bancorp, Inc., and CEO of Investors Community Bank, said: We are pleased to announce the boards decision to increase our quarterly dividend, which reflects our strength and confidence in the future and reinforces our continued focus on expanding our market presence and enhancing shareholder value.

Read or Share this story: http://htrne.ws/2moDtgN

Continue reading here:

Business update: Progress Lakeshore seeks nominees – Herald Times Reporter

Posted in Progress | Comments Off on Business update: Progress Lakeshore seeks nominees – Herald Times Reporter

‘Progress’ and the ‘Rational Optimist’ Genre of Nonfiction – Inside Higher Ed (blog)

Posted: February 24, 2017 at 6:18 pm

'Progress' and the 'Rational Optimist' Genre of Nonfiction
Inside Higher Ed (blog)
Johan Norberg's new book, Progress: Ten Reasons to Look Forward to the Future, is a worthy addition to this collection. Progress is all about how long-term positive trends – such as improvements in food security, life expectancy, sanitation, poverty

Read the rest here:

‘Progress’ and the ‘Rational Optimist’ Genre of Nonfiction – Inside Higher Ed (blog)

Posted in Progress | Comments Off on ‘Progress’ and the ‘Rational Optimist’ Genre of Nonfiction – Inside Higher Ed (blog)

Appearance of Confederate Veteran in Charlottesville causes a stir in 1916 – The Daily Progress

Posted: at 6:18 pm

An unusual Letter to the Editor that ran Feb. 25, 1916, pointed our attention to a strange story that had played out in the previous days. On Feb. 21, a Daily Progress reporter shared the story of John Ashby, a 74-year-old Confederate Veteran who had stumbled into police headquarters last evening and asked for a nights lodging.

Given a jail cell to sleep in, as it was late on Sunday night, the destitute man was reported to have said: I entered the army when the war broke out, and served four years. I was with Jackson until Chancellorsville, his lip quivered, then with Lee. I was at Petersburg at the time of the surrender.

The account went on to explain: Left destitute, a week ago, by the death of his brother, Ashby, rather than submit to the ignominy of a poor house, set out to walk from Northern Virginia to Richmond where he hopes to find shelter in the Soldiers Home. He has come over 170 miles.

Ashby left Charlottesville the following morning on foot.

The following day, the Daughters of the Confederacy wrote to the editor of The Daily Progress, incensed that they had not been notified as to the veterans plight and by Feb. 24, the story had become the topic of discussion throughout town, and numerous letters to the editor were written; some questioned his claims of being a veteran, prompting the Progress to update its readers on efforts to locate the aged veteran. Long distance phone calls had been placed to the chiefs of police in various towns along the route to Richmond, but all efforts were fruitless. Readers were further assured that their voluntary contributions of clothing, many of which had been donated by students of the University of Virginia and left at the Progress office had been shipped to John Ashby, C/O Supt. of Soldiers Home, Richmond.

Editor J.H. Lindsey felt compelled to address the issue in his editorial of this date, acknowledging the faithfulness and generosity of the Albemarle Daughters of Confederacy. Lindsey went on to explain that the man was only in town for just a few hours and there was no time to notify anybody of his needs or to investigate the accuracy of his statements. Lindsey explained that the reporter for the Progress printed the story for the very purpose of informing those who might be interested in a case of real need and noted that the Progress had made arrangements for clothing and transportation to Richmond. Chief of Police Damron also shared his many efforts to provide comfort to the man that night, all of which were refused.

It is not known if John Ashby ever made it to Richmond.

See the article here:

Appearance of Confederate Veteran in Charlottesville causes a stir in 1916 – The Daily Progress

Posted in Progress | Comments Off on Appearance of Confederate Veteran in Charlottesville causes a stir in 1916 – The Daily Progress

Months later, still no progress on cleaning up Scenery Hill landslide – WPXI Pittsburgh

Posted: at 6:18 pm

SCENERY HILL, Pa. – A landslide that cut off access in a Washington County neighborhood still has not been cleaned up.

Channel 11 first told you about the slide on Moore Lane in Scenery Hill in December.Snow, sleet and heavy rains caused the ground to give way

Homeowner Delbert Main said he is frustrated and that his home is in danger of being destroyed due to the landslide happening in front and behind the home.

It’s threatening to push the house off the foundation and over this cliff, Main said.

Lorri Knotts driveway is now buried underneath all of the rubble from the slide. She said it has caused her to park her vehicle down the road and walk to her home or use another steep driveway on the other side of her home. Knotts said she is worried in case of an emergency.

We have a daughter. If my house burns, no ambulance can get up there, Knotts said.

Knotts told Channel 11 that she contacted North Bethlehem Township and was told it was Mains responsibility to fix.

Main is speaking with a Gateway engineer trying to find a solution to the problem.

2017 Cox Media Group.

See the article here:

Months later, still no progress on cleaning up Scenery Hill landslide – WPXI Pittsburgh

Posted in Progress | Comments Off on Months later, still no progress on cleaning up Scenery Hill landslide – WPXI Pittsburgh

Metro’s lack of progress called ‘disturbing’ – WTOP

Posted: at 6:18 pm

Injuries on Metro “are the part of the iceberg that’s above the water,” said Robert Lauby, Federal Railroad Administration chief safety officer. (WTOP/Dave Dildine)

WASHINGTON After Metro injury rates ticked up last yearfor riders and workers, a federal safety expert called it disturbing that Metro did not seem to be making more progress.

Im wondering if were actually measuring the right things to determine safety on Washington Metro, because we have many unsafe acts that dont result in injuries, said Robert Lauby, Federal Railroad Administration chief safety officer, at Thursdays Metro Board meeting.

Lauby, who is also a Metro Board member, cited issues that Metro should also include in its annual safety report in addition to injury rates:

The injuries are the part of the iceberg thats above the water, Lauby said.

He did, however, note improvements in some areas.

I get the question all the time: Is safety getting better on Washington Metro? And I say, Yeah, I think it is, Lauby said.

Among notable changes is tracking more injuries tied to MetroAccess paratransit service, said Pat Lavin, Metro chief safety officer.

There were a number of incidents where an individual might have been transported to the hospital, was only observed and released they didnt count that as an incident, Lavin said.

From a reporting standpoint, it is reportable, so we went back, we looked at these incidents, and that drove the number of incidents much higher than they were originally reporting.

In addition to improved oversight for drivers, Lavin said, Metro is working on improved training for properly securing riders in wheelchairs in the paratransit vehicles.

On the rail system, Lavin said his highest priorities out of remaining National Transportation Safety Board recommendations are those tied to fire-life safety.

Major improvements to the ventilation fan systems would require significant investment. But in the interim, Metro is supposed to be working on a plan for how to use the existing systems during any emergencies.

Like WTOP on Facebook and follow @WTOP on Twitter to engage in conversation about this article and others.

2017 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.

View post:

Metro’s lack of progress called ‘disturbing’ – WTOP

Posted in Progress | Comments Off on Metro’s lack of progress called ‘disturbing’ – WTOP

Live: State leaders discuss progress of homeless shelters construction – Salt Lake Tribune

Posted: at 6:18 pm

House Speaker Greg Hughes said that the downtown Road Home shelter, which houses up to 1,100 people nightly, will have a “hard close date” of June 30, 2019.

Senate President Wayne Niederhauser and Lt. Gov. Spencer Cox also spoke, reiterating that homelessness is a statewide problem.

The news was met with elation by Chris Sveiven, who lives less than 100 feet from the proposed shelter on Simpson Avenue, and has vocally opposed the site.

“It was like taking the soul of our little neighborhood,” he said of the proposed shelter.

The city’s resource center would have replaced Lit’l Scholars, a day care at 653 E. Simpson Ave, where Sveiven’s 19-month-old son, Weston, is on the waiting list. The proximity to the preschool is part of why Sveiven picked and renovated his red-brick house in Sugar House.

He banded with neighbors to protest the site and credits that for the change in heart in the Simpson property being pulled from the list.

“If we wouldn’t have gone and made as much noise as we did, there’s no way they would have shifted back to two sites,” he said. “To say I’m relieved is an understatement.”

The Tribune will update this story.

Reporter Courtney Tanner contributed to this report.

Go here to see the original:

Live: State leaders discuss progress of homeless shelters construction – Salt Lake Tribune

Posted in Progress | Comments Off on Live: State leaders discuss progress of homeless shelters construction – Salt Lake Tribune

Lawmakers talk progress made in helping Connecticut homeless – WTNH Connecticut News (press release)

Posted: at 6:18 pm


WTNH Connecticut News (press release)
Lawmakers talk progress made in helping Connecticut homeless
WTNH Connecticut News (press release)
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) Lawmakers and various organizations came together in New Haven about the progress that's being made in Connecticut to help homeless people. Non-profit organizations are asking state leaders to make sure they continue to …

and more »

See original here:

Lawmakers talk progress made in helping Connecticut homeless – WTNH Connecticut News (press release)

Posted in Progress | Comments Off on Lawmakers talk progress made in helping Connecticut homeless – WTNH Connecticut News (press release)

Acheampong’s Anderlecht survive Zenit scare to progress – Goal.com

Posted: at 6:18 pm

The Belgian side reached the round of 16 by the skin of their teeth following a dramatic late goal in the Russian city of St. Petersburg

Frank Ancheampongs Anderlecht left it very late to secure passage into the next round of the Europa League on Thursday against Zenit as they lost 3-1 on the night but qualified via the away goal after it ended 3-3 on aggregate.

Acheampong had a less than stellar game despite being the scorer of the two goals in the first leg. He lasted for 89 minutes and earned a yellow card in a game where he scored the lowest rating of any player on both teams.

The hosts took a three-goal lead via Giulianos brace that sandwiched Artem Dzyubas goal and thought they had it all wrapped up having upturned the 2-0 first leg deficit.

But there was to be late drama when Isaac Thelin nodded home on 90 minutes from one of the Belgians most sustained moments of pressure as elimination stared them in the face.

Instead it was the Russian team that crumbled under the enormous pressure after feeling they had done enough to progress into the round of 16 when they went up by three goals.

Read more:

Acheampong’s Anderlecht survive Zenit scare to progress – Goal.com

Posted in Progress | Comments Off on Acheampong’s Anderlecht survive Zenit scare to progress – Goal.com

Donald Trump’s trans bathroom restrictions will stunt much-needed progress in school sports – Quartz

Posted: at 6:18 pm

Donald Trump's trans bathroom restrictions will stunt much-needed progress in school sports
Quartz
Bathrooms are once more a political battleground in America. US president Donald Trump's rollback of the Obama administration's policy on transgender bathroom use yesterday (Feb. 22) rescinds previous federal guidance that allowed transgender students …
Trump Rescinds Rules on Bathrooms for Transgender StudentsNew York Times

all 2,174 news articles »

Excerpt from:

Donald Trump’s trans bathroom restrictions will stunt much-needed progress in school sports – Quartz

Posted in Progress | Comments Off on Donald Trump’s trans bathroom restrictions will stunt much-needed progress in school sports – Quartz

Page 11234..10..»